Friday, September 16, 2011

Changing seasons

I'm not quite ready for Fall to be here. Don't get me wrong, Fall is one of my favorite seasons. I love the weather when it's cool, but not frigid, I love wearing jeans and sweaters and I love all things associated with fall: apples, pumpkins, leaves turning color etc. But this year Fall has come too fast. Callan was a Spring baby born in April and somehow we sped through Spring, Summer and now it's Fall, which means Winter (and the holidays) are just around the corner. I'm not ready! And from the looks of it, neither is Callan. Looks like mama's got to do some shopping for little bubs.

*fat man in a little coat*


As most people know, I read a lot of blogs and even before I was pregnant or had a baby, a great majority of them are "mommy blogs". Even without the weather changing in Chicago, it was easy to track the changing seasons as many of these blogs started "back to school/beginning of school" posts.  It's been interesting to read these posts especially now as a mother and it makes me think about Callan starting school. I know I still have a few years, but with the way CPS works and our desire to put Callan in public school, we've got to start thinking about it sooner rather than later (and yes, I realize that I have a bit of the craz-ee too and that my child is not even 5 months old and I'm already thinking about what's going to happen when he's 5 years old. I just like to think it's called being prepared.). Chicago is definitely not as competitive as NY, but it's not as easy as where I grew up where you just went to the neighborhood school -I definitely see the allure of the suburbs when it comes to school. Anyway, it's hard to imagine Callan starting school, but just as quickly as the seasons have changed this year, I know it's only going to go faster. With every development that I savor and applaud, a little piece of me cringes too because it means Callan's less of an infant who's world revolves around me (and Huge) and getting closer to becoming an independent little boy that I'll be sending off at school. Everyone always tells you when you're pregnant to enjoy every minute before your baby is born because your life will change forever. And then once the baby is born people tell you to enjoy every moment because it goes by so quickly, but no one has yet told me how to make time slow down to let me enjoy every moment because I have to tell you, this sure is going by quick and I'm not such a fan.

*Don't let him fool you. He may look young, but he reads at a sophomore level.*


No comments:

Post a Comment