Friday, October 21, 2011

Parenting fail

I had my first (of what will be many) patenting fails last night. In my head, right before it happened I knew I should have moved him, but for whatever reason, laziness, over-confidence, any of a litany of excuses, I didn't and I paid the price. Granted no one was seriously hurt and I'm being much too dramatic about it, but at the time I was so sad that I had let my poor baby get hurt. So what is it that I did? I played peek-a-boo with Callan sitting on the hardwood floor and while my eyes were covered he fell straight back and bonked his head! The crying was heartbreaking and I silently cursed myself for letting it happen. Lest you think I'm a hovering, over protective mother, I'm not. Callan has fallen over plenty of times, but this was the first time where the blow wasn't being cushioned by a hand or some other soft object. Just his noggin and the hardwood. You know it's bad when the tears/crying are immediate and then at a certain point there's the closed eyes, tears, open mouth but no sound cry. That is the worst! Anyway, we are all fine and after a few moments we were back to laughing and playing (on the mat of course), but definitely my first parental fail.
And I realize (unfairly) that if this had happened on Huge's watch, I would have been pissed and not so forgiving. Ha, at least I can admit it ;) Lesson learned.

4 comments:

  1. We got shots the other day and experienced the open mouth/no cry. The wail that came after almost broke our hearts. Definitely almost did some ear drum damage. Glad to hear your baby is ok. That sounds like a horrifically tough moment.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Callan did that too when he got his first shots! It's almost worse than a regular cry. Hope you and mini-G are doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Rachel! I feel your pain...just had the same lapse in judgement this weekend. Only I have a VIDEO to prove it. Luckily, Luke has such an enormous head that I don't think it phased him as much as me. The good thing is that they're back to their smiley, laughing selves in no time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Let's just say I'm not winning mother of the week -I had another one yesterday where I let him play with a glossy magazine. I thought to myself hmm. the cover seems kind of thick, I should rip them off so he doesn't cut himself. Yah, the thick glossy inside pages were still razor sharp and he gave himself 2 pretty decent paper cuts. I looked down and was like, oh my goodness, why is there blood on the magazine. Yah... parenting fail #2. Ha.

    ReplyDelete