Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Dear Callan: You've hit double digits

Dear Callan-
Today you turned 10 months old... you've officially hit double digits and that means that in mere weeks you are turning 1 year old. Phew, at least you'll be back to single digits.. but *sob* 1 year? How did that happen?

Anyway, 10 months is a legit age and it gives you lots of street cred. As do your teeth! You have 8 now, which is mind boggling. I can't even remember what you looked like as a toothless gummy baby. You're putting those teeth to good use and devouring all sorts of food. There isn't much that you won't eat (or at least try) although it appears that you don't like bell pepper or kiwi very much. But everything else is fair game and you've had quite the range of food from typical baby food, to junk food (thanks to your Hawaiian vacation), to sushi and even caviar. I'm thinking you're going to be an adventurous eater and I look forward to sharing many memorable meals with you.

Your love of books continues to grow or more accurately, your love of flipping the pages  and lift the flaps of pop up books continues to grow. I'm not sure if you're actually paying attention to what's going on in the story anymore, but the flipping and lifting keeps you busy. Your favorites still seem to be the Dr. Seuss books, the Sandra Boyton books and the Eric Carle books -especially the slide and find Brown Bear, Brown Bear book. It's fun to watch you "read" on your own and you'll just flip the pages back and forth with your delicate one finger.

Speaking of delicate finger, you've turned into one of those kids who love the iphone/ipad. I think your favorite thing is looking at the pictures of yourself, but you love swiping your finger across the screen and making things move. I laugh because you've shown me things on my phone that I have never seen before and I have had this phone for over a year now.

Although you enjoy your independence and freedom, you also can be a bit of a snuggly baby and the snuggly-ness has really stepped up recently.  It started with the pillow pet you got from Adelia for Christmas and now you'll snuggle next to anything soft. You'll either lie down on it or bring it up to your face like Linus with his blanket (from Peanuts) and it is the most precious thing ever. Actually, that's a lie, the most precious thing ever is how your little arms wrap around people's necks to give them hugs. And you're starting to give kisses, although I'm not sure people other than your mama or daddy are really ready for them as you love to give big wet sloppy kisses on the mouth (and sometimes you laugh after you do it, like you know that it's a little bit gross).... but those are the most precious things and I love that feeling of your arms around me and I tell you all the time how you're such a good hugger. I hope you always will want to hug your mama because I'll always be ready to take one from you.

Being10 months old is insanity, but it's been so much fun. You are a clapping, waving, laughing machine and thinking about you brings a smile to my face. I apologize in advance that your dad and I sometimes treat you like a monkey and make you do your "tricks" over and over (especially for an audience), but you have to believe me when I saw we do it because we're so proud of you and want to share your joy with other people. One thing we love to get you to do is clap when we sing "If you're happy and you know it". It's amazing that you can recognize the tune when I sing it since I have such a terrible voice, but you inevitably break out into a smile and start clapping when you hear it. You've also started "dancing" this month, which really consists of you flapping your arms and shaking your whole body, but don't worry because lots of boys dance like that so you'll fit right in at the frat house.

You really have such personality and even strangers comment on it (in a good way) when they meet you. We took you on vacation in Hawaii and you took the change in scenery and routine in stride. You love meeting and interacting with new people, especially flirting with all the ladies. You are definitely a ladies man and I'm going to have to be extra careful with you when you get older!

Anyway, in honor of your 10 month birthday we filmed you taking (some of) your first steps. You've been pretty reluctant to try walking on your own as you seem to prefer instead to just fling your upper body towards things (hoping someone will catch you), but your buddy Luke has been walking for a week or so now and I think you're starting to get jealous. So tonight your dad and I finally caught a few steps on video and not to critique your form too much, but it would probably be easier to balance if you didn't have your hand in your mouth... but it's a good start!


There's a whole new world that's going to open up for you once you become a walker and I can't wait to explore that world with you. Happy 10 months baby pies. I love you beyond words.

Love,
Mama

1 comment:

  1. Happy birthday to Callan! Can they PLEASE stop growing up now???

    ReplyDelete