Thursday, July 8, 2010

Welcome July with a bang

Well hello lovelies and welcome to July. I know, it's already a week in, but it's been a busy beginning! Last weekend we all celebrated the fantastic summer holiday of the 4th of July. This is one of my favorite holidays -not because I'm overly patriotic (but yes, I do love America), but because this holiday has FIREWORKS! Seriously one of my favorite things ever. The best part is that my apartment has a western view that is unmarred by sky scrapers -so you have a a panoramic view of all the fireworks from the United Center to the south, the western suburbs and all the way north to Logan Square. To be honest, I'm not sure exactly what areas you can see, but in my mind that's how I see it!

My parents were also visiting from Boston, so it was fun to have them around for a few days. We didn't do anything super crazy and exciting, but it was fun nonetheless. We also (finally) ate at Tompolobampo -Rick Bayless' upscale place. It was really, really tasty food and definitely recommend going. Just be warned that you have to prepare ahead of time and get reservations early. And also if you're on a budget, you should save up! We pretty much spent our entire monthly budget for going out on this one weekend extravaganza -although the majority of it was for this one meal.

Other than that July has become very hot and humid in Chicago. I won't complain since we have a winter of cold coming (just around the corner), but it does make being outside a little less than desireable. Speaking of being outside... I want to buy a bike. Huge bought one and is enjoying riding to and from work, but I want one to be able to traverse the city and go explore the neighborhoods. The problem is that bikes are expensive! And I haven't ridden one in YEARS -and although there are bike paths and lots of bikers in the city, it still seems a bit precarious... so I think I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a bike this weekend. I'll let you know how my maiden voyage goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment